One of my best friends in the whole wide world is getting married tomorrow in Vietnam.
His name is Duy and he is one of a kind. Someday I may chronicle the story of how a country girl from Southeast Oklahoma and a bartender/business owner from Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam became the best of friends. Here are just a couple of tidbits about Duy.
1) He once told me he was moving to San Diego. My reply, “Schmandiego, you’re not moving anywhere.” So, when I told him I was dating Nathan (my husband), his reply was, “Schmathan, you’re not dating anyone.” They get along famously now.
2) We like to call Duy the “Third-World Redneck”.
3) The story of how Duy came to live in America is one of the greatest adventures ever told.
4) Duy loves cooking and fine dining, but he is in constant search of the stew he used to get in his school cafeteria. He has never found it despite eating at many cafeteria-style restaurants.
5) Duy is one of the funniest, most generous people I know. His new wife Winnie is a lucky lady and I’m so excited for them!
I might also mention that Winnie looks like a Barbie Doll, only prettier.
See. I told you.
This picture is a blast from the past. Everyone looks so young!
Send your camera with Duy to Vietnam and this is what you get:
This is cobra that Duy ate on one of his trips. I can hardly stand to think about it … insert shivers, goosebumps and nausea here.
Here is Duy in his element — making great drinks and playing the perfect host to his friends and family.
Here’s to Winnie and Duy and their life together!